Monday, December 1, 2008

Comp 106 personal blog

My senior year of high school I was having trouble figuring out where I wanted to go to school the next fall. Although I heard from everyone that it was normal for high school seniors to not know what they would like to continue studying, I still felt intense pressure to figure it out. I also felt like I was not as equipped as other high school students in exploring what I would like to study because I went to a very small school that didn’t offer a wide selection of classes.

So while never deciding what I would like to study, I chose to attend U of M Dearborn in the fall because I was offered a scholarship. However, after taking some classes I began to feel like I needed to find out what I would enjoy studying in order to avoid wasting time and money on classes that I didn’t enjoy and were unnecessary. I decided that it would be best for me to study what I enjoyed the most.

I feel like I see too many people choosing careers that give them the most money over careers that they will actually enjoy, and I would not like to be one of those people. I would rather not only live after five and on weekends. Sometimes I feel even my parents are working so hard that they don’t have any time to enjoy their money. I don’t want to live a life in which most of my time is spent somewhere I don’t want to be. Because of this, I decided to study something I love.

After some reflection, I realized that I would love to study anything that was either applied art or art-related. I’ve always loved sketching, painting, and visiting art museums. The only reason I didn’t think of going to an art school before was because I wasn’t sure I was good enough to get in, but I love it so much that I decided I would have to try anyway. Since deciding this, I’ve been visiting art schools, looking into art programs, and building my portfolio. Honestly, part of me is afraid to even try to pursue what I love because I might fail, but the rest of me is eager to try in order to escape being stuck on a career path I hate.

Moreover, after seeing and hearing about people working for a certain company for decades and then being stuck without a job when the company decides to close or relocate, I think it would probably be wise of me to have multiple flows of income. I occasionally mull through ideas in my head of how I could make money aside from working for someone else, but haven’t settled on anything yet. From what I’ve read, one of the best things to do is to start multiple businesses, but structure them so that after some time they require little effort from the owner. This sounds great in theory of course, but I’m assuming it’s very difficult and possibly to stressful for me to bother attempting. However, I still think that working for one corporation for the duration of one’s working life and then retiring with pension from that corporation is becoming a thing of the past.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My advice is for you to go to Grad school. If you're an artist, you will probably wind up teaching somewhere, somehow. Also, marry well!